Murray County Government Center
DID YOU KNOW YOU CAN PRE-APPLY?
You can Pre-Apply for a Driver's License or ID, schedule an exam and more ONLINE!
You will still need to visit a license office in person, but by filling out some of the information out online you may decrease the time you spend at the county. Be sure to bring your confirmation page and the documents listed on the confirmation. It will take you about 10 - 15 minutes to complete, but it will save you that time at the license office!
Minnesotans will be able to apply for REAL ID compliant driver’s licenses and identification cards starting October 1, but there’s no reason to apply for one right away. Minnesota’s standard licenses and ID cards will be accepted for federal purposes, including boarding domestic flights, until October 1, 2021.
What you need to know about Auto Insurance
Insurance Information Required to Register Motor Vehicles
Minnesotans who are renewing license tabs or registering or transferring ownership of motor vehicles and motorcycles will need to provide proof of insurance and information under a law change that took effect on Jan. 1, 2016.
Every owner will need to provide the following information:
- Name of insurance company
- Policy Number
- Expiration date of the policy
Commercial Drivers License
Minnesotans who are renewing a commercial drivers license must present a valid US Passport or Passport card or a certified copy of a birth certificate.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What are your hours of business?
All services are available from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, except for Driver's Licenses who should arrive by 4:00 p.m.
What services are available at the Murray County License Center?
- Motor vehicle registration renewal
- Motor vehicle registration from out-of-state
- Motor vehicle duplicate titles
- Motor vehicle registration - other
- Driver's license renewals
- Driver's instruction permit renewals
- Driver's license duplicates
- State Identification cards
- Snowmobile registrations
- Hunting licenses (including stamps)
- Fishing licenses (including stamps)
- All-terrain vehicle registration
- Watercraft registration
When and where are driver's license exams offered? Written and road tests for Murray County residents are done in Marshall at the Driver License Exam station located at 601. N. Highway 59. The exam station is only open Monday and Tuesday from 8:00-11:15 a.m. & 12:30-3:30 p.m. For questions call (507) 537-7024, to schedule a road click here to schedule your test online.
What if I don't receive my new driver's license card within three weeks? Call the Murray County License Center for assistance at 507-836-1151.
What information is necessary to obtain various licenses and what are the applicable fees? Submit current driver’s license. Vision test and photo taken. Applicants under 18 years of age must have the application signed by a parent or legal guardian and notarized. All applicants must have their social security number with them at the time of application.
- Standard or Real ID/Driver's License Fees:
- Class A regular - $51.00
- Class A under 21 - $31.00
- Class B regular / under 21 - $43.00
- Class C regular / under 21 - $36.00
- Class D regular / under 21 - $32.00 or $28.50 if driver's record has no violations when upgrading from provisional license to Class D
- Provisional License - $19.25
- Duplicate license - $17.00
- Driver's Instruction Permit - $15.50
- ID - under age 65 - $21.50
- ID - age 65+ - $20.75
- ID - Mentally / physically disabled - $0.50
- Enhanced ID/Driver's License Fees - applicant must be at least 16 years old to qualify:
- Class A regular - $66.00
- Class A under 21 - $46.00
- Class B regular / under 21 - $58.00
- Class C regular / under 21 - $51.00
- Class D regular / under 21 - $47.00 or $43.50 if driver's record has no violations when upgrading from a provisional license to Class D
- Provisional License - $34.25
- Duplicate license - $32.00
- Driver's Instruction Permit - $30.50
- ID - under age 65 - $36.50
- ID - age 65+ - $35.75
- Driver's Instruction Permit - Submit valid score sheet or current permit. Vision test taken. Applicants under 18 years of age must have application signed by parent or guardian. Applicant must bring in a certified Birth Certificate and Social Security card or a MN State issued ID
- Farm or Commercial Vehicle - If renewing a vehicle with a weight of 55,000 pounds or more, you need to bring in form 2290, Schedule 1, A Schedule of Heavy Highway Vehicles, stamped by the IRS. For a copy of the form, click HERE.
- Motor Vehicle - Registration Renewal - Applicant submits renewal notice that was sent to them via the mail. If the renewal notice was lost or not received, the applicant must provide the vehicle license plate number so the office can assess state records and issue the renewal. Current insurance information must be provided as well.
- Motor Vehicle - Registration from Out-of-State - Submit the foreign state title, or current registration if title is unavailable due to a lien. Applicant provides: Current odometer reading, and drivers license or state issued identification card. If there is a lien against the vehicle, the owner must provide the name and complete address of the lender, as well as the date of the loan. Owner's signature is required on the Minnesota Title application. Proof of current insurance coverage must be provided as well.
- Motor Vehicle - Transfer of Minnesota Title - Buyer presents title certificate and driver’s license or state issued identification card. "Seller's" portion of title, including signature(s), date of sale, odometer statement, and damage and emissions disclosure statements, must be completed by sellers (s).
- Motor Vehicle - Duplicate Titles - Motor vehicle duplicate titles are now available to be printed in our office. The owner must be present and fill out a request form. The cost is $17.25.
- Motor Vehicle - Other Transactions Available - Plate, Registration Card, Sticker Applications and Special Plate Applications.
- Watercraft - Owner provides make, year, length and serial number of watercraft, motor size if applicable, and his or her driver’s license number and signature. For titled watercraft being transferred, transfer must be executed on Minnesota or foreign-state title. Fees vary according to type length and use of craft.
- Snowmobile - Owner provides make, model, year, serial number, and engine size (hp or cubic centimeters), and his or hers drivers license number and signature. License is valid for three years for a fee of $111.00, which includes the 3 year trail sticker.
- All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV) - Owner provides make, model, year, serial number, and engine size (hp or cubic centimeters), width of the ATV in inches, and his or hers drivers license number and signature. License is valid for three years. Fee for registration is $60.00 plus $6.00 issuing fee.
When can I get an Enhanced Identification Card or Driver's License? Enhanced Identification Cards and Driver's Licenses will be available October 1, 2018.
Where can I get Game and Fish Licenses? Small game and fish licenses go on sale on March 1st. Big game licenses go on sale in August. Deer hunting season starts in early November. Duplicates, special disability, foreign exchange, military and replacement licenses are available at the Murray County License Center. When applying for a resident license, proof of Minnesota residency is required by providing a Minnesota Drivers License, State Identification Card, Firearms Safety Certificate, or previous ELS (electronic license system) issued hunting or fishing licenses. Fees: Vary, according to type (s) of license(s) purchased. For more information, check out the Minnesota DNR website at:http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/index.html
Do I need a Cross-Country Ski License? Daily, Annual, or Three-year licenses available at the Murray County License Center. They are required for groomed trails in state and county parks. Fees vary according to the type of license purchased.
Where can I get something Notarized? The Murray County Government Center helps with notarization at the Murray County License Center. There is no fee associated with this service.
Where can I get a application for special permit for operation of golf cart in Murray County? Click HERE for an application. You will need to submit a copy of your driver’s license and copy of your current proof of insurance with the golf cart listed.
Do I have the proper identification? Please go to the Minnesota Department of Safety.
Information on Fish and Game Licenses (off-site link)